Monday, July 05, 2004

Create Your Own Image

What does having style mean? How do you create your own style? NinaOndine has achieved a personal, unique and exclusive style with precious accessories and original vingage designs. But also re-inventing classics and the use of black. Read on to discover her pièces-de-resistance, her ideas and suggestions.

A Diploma of Arts, NinaOndine speaks six languages fluently and has lived, studied and worked in Europe and Australia. Over the last decade she has evolved within the communication industry and electronic publishing in particular. Today, she lives and works in Lugano, Switzerland’s Italian speaking canton; only 45 minutes north of Milan. Currently, NinaOndine is focussing on developing a new novel inspired by her 1994 sojourn in Malawi.

Define your style.
Eclectic, unpredictable, unique but most of all: comfortable! Once I’m out of the house I’m ready for action so I don’t want to be slowed down by pinching shoes or a tight fitting jacket.

How do you achieve your style?
My tastes are diverse as my taste in music, I don’t discriminate between styles, I can go for something ethnic as easily as a classic piece. I like to mix and match but the overall effect must be restrained, I don’t want people to remember the clothes, I want people to notice me! One thing all my clothes do have in common: each item and accessory in my wardrobe must flatter my body to maximum advantage.

Do you prefer black or colours?
As much as I love black because it conveys an immediate sense of style and power, I detest the exclusive wear of black. It can be quite draining and can make you look washed out. People who only wear black end up looking dull and uninspired.

How long do you keep your garments?
Oh, an eternity! If the item still works for me I find ways to re-invent it. However, I go through my wardrobe every season and weed out any fashion mistakes and items that don’t fit properly.

How do you shop?
My favourite way to shop is knowing I need a specific item to update my wardrobe. I’ll have a very clear image of this item in my mind, wether it’s a pair of slacks or a new handbag. Eventually, I might be casually window-shopping one day, and see that very item on display. Then I immediately have to buy it!

Where do you shop?
I don’t discriminate, I’ll just as easily shop at Sysley or Dolce & Gabbana. Luckily Milan is close by. Though I prefer the Banhofstrasse in Zürich; sometimes I’ll organize a shopping expedition especially to go to Zürich.

Share a shopping tip with us.
If you don’t love it, I don’t buy it.

Wlho are your style icons?
Fashion today is so derivative and unoriginal that a nobody in the street may have more style than a celebrity. When I see a woman who’s well turned out I cannot fail to admire what she’s accomplished.

What do you consider a style blasphemy?
Wearing something that’s inappropriate for the person’s size, age and the occasion.

How do you select a clothing item?
Whatever I try on has to make me feel fabulous or I’ll just put it back on the rack.

How do you feel about jewellery?
I love, love jewellery! For every day use, I don’t mind industrial designs in stainless steel and resin. However, I especially love gemstones since studying crystal-therapy. My preference goes to young designers who have a fresh, original approach. It’s also an excellent way of acquiring an exclusive piece at a realistic price.

What would you wear to the office?
I love power dressing in classic, tailored suits teemed with expensive shoes and designer eyewear that transform me into a force to be reckoned with.

And for drinks with friends?
Depends where I’m going. If it’s a casual affair jeans, boots and a tee shirt. Otherwise I might show up in a low-back cocktail dress and heels.

What about the beach?
I don’t enjoy walking around in my bikini, so if I’m not lounging or swimming, I’ll slip into a sundress and a baseball cap.

Do you have any fetishes?
I simply love lingerie, especially the sexy kind – it’s almost an addiction. But because I need to feel comfortable above all else, some of the loveliest things I have just stay in my drawer.

Tell us about your wardrobe.
My approach is functional, pieces such as dresses and jackets etc. are grouped and divided by colour. I also separate between winter and summer, between work and leisure, and between day and night.

What do you pack to go on holidays?
First I throw everything I want to take on the bed. Then I take out everything I cannot mix and match with at least three other items. I do the same with the shoes.

What was your most recent purchase?
A pair of Kalvin Klein summer pyjamas.

What do you wear to seduce?
Diamonds and perfume.

And to relax at home?
I walk around bare foot. I pull my hair into a ponytail and slip into jazz pants and a sports’ top.

What about hair and make up?
My motto for hair, like everything else, is keep it simple. I don’t like fiddling with brushes and hair products so I always go for a great cut that I can manage with no fuss. I do a lot of sports and use a scooter so my hair has to be super-functional. But I enjoy wearing make up and I like to experiment. However, I don’t use mascara and foundation because I don’t like the gooey feeling, I like my skin to feel squeaky clean.

TIPS:
*always look your best because you never know who you may run into
*don’t wear high heels if you cannot walk in them with poise
*don’t follow fashion blindly or you’ll just look like every one else
*make sure your shoes are in excellent condition
*keep your look simple, clean and uncluttered
*exercise regularly
*look after your skin
*avoid sequins like the plague