Saturday, July 31, 2004

Daath

There was no Exit sign above the door you chose.
We were still asleep when you leaped off the cliff
into a chasm where no one holds your hand
alone,
silent,
final,
you remind us of the quiet transit of planets
each one following a designated path
Death your guide:
what mysterious promise
lured you over the edge
severed you from the present dimension
catapulted you into an intangible season?
I saw you early this morning
just after you left the train station
too late for farewells so all I said was hello
as I wished you a safe journey
I hope you will find the light
that failed you in your terrestrial wanderings,
now clouds soar about you
now little birds sow silver threads around your heart
now expanding Galaxies illuminate your passage
I walked past you this morning
on my way into town
and I felt your presence there,
tepid, between the tracks.