Wednesday, August 25, 2004

Another Street Parade


It’s been a busy summer; filled with overseas visitors, open air events, sporting activities, picnics in the mountains, lounging by the waterfront, discovering new bars, editing my novel in progress, arranging flowers and learning how to make my own bread.

Also, a good friend of mine has recently returned from a two-year stint in Hong Kong so I’ve been dedicating her some quality time. A part from that, the yearly
Locarno film fest
has started up again and the Zürich Street Parade has come and gone.

Although, his year we didn’t stay overnight in Zürich as we usually do, the event was particularly fun thanks to a group of New Zealanders and assorted Europeans. We took the early train across the Alps and arrived in Zürich in time for brunch at an English Pub in the Niederdorf (the old gothic town). It was all part of a master plan devised by the Kiwis, which consisted of watching the NZ versus Australian rugby game on Sky before heading off to the parade.

It’s been ages since I’ve found myself in a confined space with a bunch of uncouth, beer swinging Australasians yelling abuse at the TV screen. The occasion refreshed my memory on the uniquely colourful expressions commonly used down under such as ‘Get’im!’; ‘Shut yer gob’ and ‘U bloody beauudy’. After a pint of black and tan followed by a pint of red, and greasy chips and egg, we headed off to the Bellevue to watch the love mobiles float through the massive crowd.

There were naked people of all ages and sizes covered in fishnet body suits or head-to-toe body paint. Everyone flaunted piercings and cellulite unabashedly; there were splendid drag queens dressed as peacocks, girls in crimson feather bras and boys in leather g-strings. Families in matching flower-power outfits and earplugs. All this took place at the rhythm of thumping, ear-deafening rave music blaring from PA systems at every street corner. The entire city had turned into an endless daytime hedonistic fest. The first-timers in our group watched the party unfold in excited disbelief, as they passed a bottle of Red Bull Vodka around, and each taking a long swig. I watched the semi-unclad crowd writhing under the August sun and regretted wearing jeans and sensible shoes – fooled again by the weather report. Originally, I’d planned to wear my red halter neck dress and Playboy-bunny ears. But during the three-hour train journey back home, suffering from the air conditioning, I was glad I had something warm on.

Since returning from one of Europe’s largest annual events, it’s been back to normality, back to a sensible eating plan (or rather: thinking about it a lot…) and trying to get back into the gym groove. Actually, I’m thinking of changing gyms as I’ve found one that has a pool and a wellness area with aromatherapy showers! But it seems that when you don’t work, time just flies. During the last weeks in particular, I’ve been occupied with the ongoing legal action against my former employer, which looks like it may be finally drawing to an end. At last the accused party has asked to settle out of court so the lawyers will meet to discuss the matter on August 26.

Meanwhile, in view of a small inheritance coming my way and having to spend another year or so in Europe, I’m deciding what to do with my future. As a result of these reckonings, I’ve concluded that I’ll seriously start looking for a new job as soon Nick and I return from Santorini at the end of September. Although, after our two-week break in the Greek isles, we’ll be spending a long weekend in Dublin with a bunch of Nick’s mates in October, followed by a week in Amsterdam where I’ve enrolled in a professional Dutch Floral Design course. Additionally, a three-week vacation in Melbourne is scheduled for March 05. So I haven’t the faintest idea when in the hell I’ll be able to fit in a new job!

But the most important news is that I’ve nearly finished my novel! ETA Christmas 2004. I guess I’ll have to find a publisher next… Also, I’ve locked Nick into agreeing that if we’re prolonging our stay in Europe, due to his recent promotion to assistant Vice President, I want a car and a new couch (and a bread maker, and a new Macintosh and an iPod, and a Longines Dolce Vita wristwatch, and Villeroy Boch plates…). After all, after the past few years of living a thrifty life-style, I’m no longer willing to compromise comfort! What’s the point of having money in the bank if you can’t enjoy it?